We have added Google Apps for Education for students for Grades 6-12. This new system, powered by Google, will provide Gmail to our school, as well as a suite of other Google products such as Google Docs and Sites that will enable our teachers to better communicate, share, and collaborate with students. We will be joining over 8 million other students and teachers that are already using Google Apps at schools around the world.
We are excited to offer Google Apps as it represents an important step towards developing a 21st century approach to curriculum and learning. These tools will support the high levels of collaboration that are required in today’s classroom to prepare students with the communication and collaboration skills they’re going to need in school and in the future.
What’s included in Google Apps for students?
- Gmail gives 25 Gigabytes of email storage for both students and teachers.
- Google Calendar lets students and teachers create and share school or class calendars and events.
- Google Docs lets you create and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and forms. You can also upload any file to Google Docs and share it with others. A great place to store your student portfolio!
- Google Sites makes it easy to collect, share, and publish all types of content in a single website through easy embeds of Google Docs, Calendars, videos and other media without HTML.
- Blogger lets you set up a blog, collaborate and share with teachers and students easily!
- Google News lets you keep up with all the latest news.
- Google Reader helps students keep track of important websites for educational content. Millions of sites publish feeds with their latest updates, and Google's integrated feed search makes it easy to find new content that interests you.
- Google Mobile allows you to add you Gmail account to your mobile phone and get emails and calendar updates regarding your classes, homework and upcoming exams.
- Google Books finds books you can downloand and read for free.
What are the benefits of Google Apps and what’s included?
- Anytime, anywhere access - Google Apps works in any browser on any computer, which means you can access your email, calendars, and documents from school or at home.
- No flash drives required with documents and files stored in Google Docs.
- Students can easily collaborate with students from other classes, buildings, schools, districts or even different countries, working together on group projects.
- Teachers can be involved throughout the whole assignment process providing comments and feedback directly in the documents.
- Students can develop an e-portfolio of work throughout their years at the school.
- Through websites, calendars, and email, parents can stay informed about the latest assignments and activities.
A new Acceptable Use Policy
has been created for students and staff and posted online. Students and staff using technology in East Providence will be expected to follow the guidelines as outlined in the Acceptable Use Policy. A copy of the new policy can be found on the district website or by clicking here.
We are excited to be bringing these tools to the district. Don’t hesitate in asking for more information about this decision and how it will impact your students.
Director of Technology
East Providence Public Schools